Aeolian-Skinner Organ

This organ was built for Sage Chapel in 1940, under the direction of G. Donald Harrison. It is a classic example of Harrison’s tonal thinking and incorporates advanced neo-Baroque elements (the Positiv division in particular) as well as several ranks re-used from earlier instruments. The Swell Bourdon 16’ and Oboe 8’, all but two stops (the Zauberflöte 2’ and the Cromorne 8’) on the Choir, and the Pedal Bourdon 16’ come from the E. M. Skinner organ, Op. 175, built in the chapel in 1909. The façade incorporates part of the Pedal Violone 16’ from the 1898 King organ that preceded the E. M. Skinner instrument.

Specification

Great Swell Choir Positiv Pedal
Principal 8’ Bourdon 16’ Viole 8’ Gedeckt 8’ Contra Bourdon 32’
Bourdon 8’ Diapason 8’ Concert Flute 8’ Nachthorn 4’ Principal 16’
Spitzflöte 8’ Stopped Diapason 8’ Erzähler 8’ Nasat 2 2/3’ Violone 16’
Principal 4’ Viole de Gambe 8’ Erzähler Celeste 8’ (from tenor C) Italian Principal 2’ Bourdon 16’
Rohrflöte 4’ Viole Celeste 8’ Flauto Traverso 4’ Terz 1 3/5’ Echo Lieblich 16’ (from Swell)
Quint 2 2/3’ Sesquialtera II Zauberflöte 2’ Oktav 1’ Principal 8’
Super Octave 2’ Principal 4’ English Horn 8’ Zimbel III Gedackt Pommer 8’
Full Mixture IV Cor de Nuit 4’ Cromorne 8’ Violone 8’
Fourniture IV Fifteenth 2’ Tremolo Quint 5 1/3’
Cymbel III Plein Jeu III Principal 4’
Trumpet 8’ Fagotto 16’ Koppelflöte 4’
Trompette 8’ Blockflöte 2’
Vox Humana 8’ Fourniture IV
Oboe 8’ Bombarde 16’
Clarion 4’ Tompette 8’
Tremolo Clarion 4’